And… we’re back! Welcome to Part II of my Korea Haul, skincare edition! If you haven’t already, check out Part I of the haul here! As a continuation of my giant beauty haul from Korea, I bring to you my skincare collection.
Conscious Part I of my haul was quite lengthy so I’ve made an effort to make this one much more concise, SO I will only sharing a few points per product and calling out the all-star products!
1. COSRX One Step Original Clear Pads – To be honest, I don’t really feel like there is any major difference. I don’t feel like it does anything for my skin; however I consciously opt to use this product on the days that I feel like my skin is giving me trouble purely because the product is “supposed” to help clear out your pores and skin. Maybe my pores are just stubborn, but I haven’t seen any visible difference.
2. COSRX One Step Moisture Up Pad – Similarly, I don’t feel like this product has had any impact. Sure, it feels like it moisturizes my skin but it doesn’t give me a glow or make my skin softer/more supple. I know other beauty bloggers have had some other thoughts about the COSRX cosmetic pads, but both products just didn’t really have an effect on my skin.
3. Iope Derm Repair Cica Cream – I bought this product simply because it claimed to reduce redness and help repair sensitive/irritated skin. On a normal basis, I don’t have significant redness, but there are some areas of my face that I’d like to brighten/even the skin tone. I’ve only recently started using the cream so I will have to continue to use it before I can confirm if it really does satisfy its claim! When it comes to caring for your skin, I really think it’s good to have products that target certain areas of concern, therefore having different products for different areas.
4. Aritaum Ginger Sugar Lip Scrub – It does the trick! I got this for less than 6,000 KRW and at the time it was a 1+1 promotion. It’s a gentle lip scrub in a sense where you don’t really feel the sugar particles against your lips. I think this is mainly due to the fact that the base is very thick/balm-like (similar to Vaseline) so the coating feels fairly greasy. If you don’t like the feeling of a thick base on your lips, then I wouldn’t recommend this product to you. I can confirm that it does make your lips feel quite moisturized, but you could probably accomplish similar results from other alternatives. Honestly, I’d say a home-made lip scrub is probably better. Add a spoonful of white sugar + olive oil (or Vaseline if you prefer), mix it together and rub it gently on your lips. Follow this with a lip treatment, or my favourite, lip mask!
5. Banobagi Vita Genic Jelly masks in Relaxing/Hydrating/Whitening – Ever since I upgraded my sheet masks, I have to say that I can really tell the difference between other brands. I wouldn’t even say that these masks are expensive, but they are definitely pricier than some other sheets on the market. I’d say these are maybe lower/mid-range; there are definitely pricier options out there! Without going into ingredients, these masks feel higher quality – from the essence to the actual thickness of the sheet itself. Personally, I find that sheet masks tend to fit awkwardly on my face – either the eye holes are too small or the mask itself is too short/wide – but this mask fits very well on my face! Other sheet masks that I’ve tried have a very strong, almost perfume smell to it which really irritated my nose. However, the essence on these masks is actually thick and jelly-like! If you’re into sheet masks, I’d definitely give this brand a try. Not to mention, before my wedding I didn’t receive any professional spa treatment but I instead exfoliated, moisturized really well and used the Whitening mask as an at-home treatment… and my skin looked great!
6. Laneige Water Pocket Sheet Mask in Time Freeze – The mask has a weird texture that almost resembles a net. I only picked up a box of these sheet masks while in Seoul; I CANNOT BELIEVE that it retails almost 4 times more if you were to purchase this from Western retailers like Sephora! I’m not overly impressed with this particular version of the mask, but there are a ton of other ones from this line. The main retailer, Aritaum, has a ton of other interesting masks such as the Bio Cellulose Mask series that I would say are worth trying.
7. Wonder Bath Super Vegitoks Cleanser (above) – Okay, so I bought this cleanser mainly because I saw the advertisement while I was in the Chosungah22 store. It’s main purpose is supposed to be a frothy/foamy cleanser but you can also use it as a mask. I kid you not, the ad had someone put this mask on their nose and literally within a few minutes it bubbled up, they wiped it off and you could see the pores/blackheads cleared out! I was amazed and I admit I was suckered into the 1+1 promotion … so, naturally I walked out with this product. I can’t say it works the same way as I had imagined it would in the ad, but I’d say this is a great mask for a quick treatment, literally only a few minutes. It’s also really fun to use – it starts off as a gel-like texture and very quickly transforms into bubbles!
8. Laneige Eye Sleeping Mask – One of my favourites! It’s a unique product that I personally haven’t seen anywhere else (If you have, please share!). I am obsessed with sleeping masks simply because they work WHILE YOU SLEEP… how awesome is that? So, when I stumbled across the eye mask version, I had to try this out! I don’t use this religiously (mainly because I can’t buy this anywhere else in Canada… as of now) but when I use this on days that I don’t get much sleep it feels like it keeps my eyes hydrated. In general, I don’t get much sleep and my sleeping habits could really improve so it might actually work better on someone who actually sleeps!
9. Laneige Water Sleeping Mask (above) – I don’t really have to say much more about this product. I’ve been loyal to this sleeping mask FOR YEARS. Literally, for the past 5-7 years! It was probably one of the first Korean skincare products I was introduced to when Aritaum was branded as The Amore. I think this is a great treatment and really does feel like it replenishes your skin overnight. BUT, as with many other products, this isn’t a miracle worker so you shouldn’t expect magic if you don’t care for your skin to begin with. It is a great add-on to your skincare regime; I like to use this specifically on days that I exfoliate and want to lock in the moisture for my new fresh skin. Every person that I have recommended this product has loved it as well as the idea of sleeping masks! HIGHLY recommend this to people who are just getting into skincare and even people who are already gurus!
10. Hanyul Snow Pine Leaves Sleeping Mask (above) – I’m not really sure if this is the smell of just fragrance, but the smell is really pleasant. It has a very herbal smell, mixed with the smell of nature or wood… if that makes sense 😉. In general, I have a bit of an obsession with sleeping masks so I’ve got quite a collection of these types of products. This one feels quite luxurious and creamy without feeling greasy. Do I feel a real difference when I use the product? Not really, but this tends to be the same result I get with many other products. For me, I can accept products that help me maintain the condition of my skin or even better, improve my skin. I think the real deal breaker is if the product makes my skin worse and this one passes the test. I think it does it’s job as a sleeping mask.
11. Laneige Lip Sleeping Mask – Okay, stop reading this right now and GO BUY this product.. NOW! I’ll even help you – click here! What’s so great about this? It claims to melt/dissolve your dead skin on your lips while you sleep and you wake up to baby soft lips in the morning. If you exfoliate your lips and moisturize them regularly AND you use this product, guaranteed you can literally kiss your lip problems goodbye. It doesn’t feel greasy like Vaseline, but it feels a little sticky. If you want to use this during the day as part of your regular lip care, I would say wipe it off before you apply any other lip products (ie: lip stick, tints, etc). Otherwise, you can use this alone and it will make your lips look naturally glossy!
12. Aritaum Baby Face Mist in Collagen and Hyaluronic – I think face mists are a great way to refresh your skin/makeup throughout the day. Let’s think about it… most of us maybe moisturize/apply skincare only twice a day – once in the morning and then again at night. Yet, we are more likely to apply hand cream multiple times during the day. Sure, we don’t wash our face as often as we wash our hands, but our skin is still exposed to weather, sun, wind and more while we are out and about! Especially on days that I’m wearing makeup, it’s not easy to apply skincare right on top of it… for hygienic reasons and really, who has the time anyway. That’s where face mists come in handy! You can literally whip this out of your bag, quickly spritz your face and you’ll feel instantly refreshed. There are a ton of different face mists out there so before I recommend this particular product to anyone, I think it’s important to find out what your concerns are because different mists have different ingredients/benefits. I got these for roughly 10,000 KRW each so it was pretty inexpensive compared to other alternatives like the Tatcha Luminous Dewy Mist – here (still want to try this 😣). I would recommend the idea of face mists/sprays, just find one that works for you!
13. 3M Nexcare Blemish Clear Cover – Now, I don’t easily award the title of MIRACLE WORKER to many products… but this is hands down amazing. Got an annoying pimple? Afraid to poke it because it can result in scarring? This product, my friends, will become your lifesaver. You take the patch and apply it to your troubled spot(s) and within a few hours it literally sucks out the juices (gross) from your pimple. For those nasty whiteheads, you may find that you need to use the patch more than once to fully rid it. Similarly, for stubborn blackheads, you may need to use some treatment to bring it to the surface or open your pores with a steam mask/facial. I actually don’t know what the patch is made of, but I know this product is HUGELY used in Korea and Asia in general. To my Canadian friends, I stumbled across this link on Amazon and I think you can actually buy these from Canada now – check out the link here. TRY IT OUT!
14. Etude House Cat Headband – I have 3 words: cute, convenient and comfortable – need I say more? If you’ve ever tried a headband or hair turban, I’m sure you’ve encountered at least one that is super tight and uncomfortable that it feels like something is literally sucking your brain. The headband from Etude House is not only cute, but it is super comfortable. The elastic isn’t tight and you look great – WIN WIN!
- Stay tuned… there will be a Part III – Cosmetic Lenses!